American b. 1984
A figurative artist based in Maryland, Rick Casali’s work expresses his appreciation for nature and his love of the figure. Whether painting one’s portrait in oils or sculpting the figure in clay, Casali keeps his artistic principles streamlined: “It is the honest study of nature that leads one to beauty,” says Casali. “I’m striving to capture the essence of what is happening…a certain color harmony in the landscape or the spirit of a person in the portrait.” His style embraces classicism, Impressionism, and elements of modern design, aiming to fuse the timeless geometry of the Greeks with a fresh Impressionistic vision of reality.
After graduating from St. Mary’s High School in Annapolis in 2002, Rick attended the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore. From 2004 to 2007, he maintained a close apprenticeship with renowned portrait artists Cedric and Joanette Egeli at their farm in Edgewater, Maryland. It was John Ebersberger who introduced Rick to the Egelis, and Rick credits John for opening his eyes to color and developing a command of drawing the portrait and figure. Casali has also studied extensively with sculptor Stephen Perkins, an expert in human construction and anatomy. Additional mentors include colorist George T. Thurmond and portrait artist Michael Shane Neal.
“All artists have a duty to teach. It’s how artistic knowledge survives and grows from generation to generation.” Rick has taught drawing, painting, and sculpture at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts in Annapolis, St. John’s College, and workshops across the United States. A key figure in the Mid Atlantic art community, Casali serves as the vice president to the Maryland Society of Portrait Painters. Rick recently finished construction on his new north light studio at his home in Galesville, MD, where he receives portrait clients and now teaches the majority of his classes.
- 2018, Finalist, Portrait Society of America International Competition (portrait bust Helena Augusta, patinated plaster)
- 2017, Certificate of Excellence, Portrait Society of America International Competition (portrait bust Cécile, patinated plaster)
- 2016, Finalist, Portrait Society of America International Competition (self-portrait bust, bronze)
- 2013, Finalist, National Sculpture Society 80th Annual Awards Exhibition (figure sculpture Spring, bronze)
- 2012, Certificate of Excellence, Portrait Society of America International Competition (portrait bust Gabrielle, patinated plaster)
Haynes Galleries – Nashville, TN
Egeli Gallery – Provincetown, MA
Annapolis Collection Gallery – Annapolis, MD
Studio B Gallery – Easton, MD